Tuesday, April 1, 2008

How good am I?

Last night, as I read in the old testament, the Lord continued the thought process I've been on concerning works and heaven.
I grew up Catholic until I recognized I needed to be reconciled to God. That I was a sinner no matter how good I could of been, which I was far from. I accepted Jesus' payment for my sins and repented of them. I was saved, forgiven and I walked in the opposite direction I was previously walking. I was now walking with Jesus so I wanted my life to be parallel with God's word.
My inlaws and extended family are Catholic and I love them very much. Actually, my 93 year old paternal grand mother was just diagnosed with breast cancer and is going for her biopsy today so, would you keep her in prayer?
As you know, Easter has just passed. My daughter's birthday was on Easter Monday so, we decided to do her birthday on Good Friday since my husband was off that day. Some of our family didn't come because they were not eating meat on Good Friday. I was frustrated by knowing many are caught up in the religious side of Jesus. He is not religious. He asks us to not be caught up in tradition and in man made religious works. The bible says in Ephesians 2:8,9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast."
It honestly breaks my heart to see people in bondage to religious works. "I have to do this, I have to do that. I hope my good works outdo my bad works?!" Paul said it best in James 2:18 "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works." That's what works are for, to show others our faith.
Who is behind our attitudes, our giving, our integrity, honesty, compassion etc. If you live to please God because you are His child and love Him, your works will demonstrate that. Remember, you could be His child and not love Him with all your heart, that will show up in your works too.
Coming back to salvation is not through works.
This is the scripture God used to reinforce His word. Job 35:7, "If thou be righteous, what givest thou Him? or what receiveth He of thine hand?" If we think we are good enough to go to heaven based on our works, let us test it by offering those best works to God. Were they actually good enough to give? Were they perfect in every moment of doing that work? Did pride ever creep up while you offered that gift of work? Is it a pure gift? You say, "Well what about Mother Theresa?" Whether Mother Theresa is in heaven or hell is of no difference to those left here. She had to face God for her own life, and you will face God for yours. Besides, are you saying that you even close to being as good as her? Doubt it. I know I'm not, but I'm saved, that's what I'm trusting in, not my works.
I don't know who is out there reading my blog. I don't know where you are standing when it comes to God but, I know one thing, if you haven't trusted in Jesus' shed blood for a payment for your sins, nor accepted Him to be your Saviour, you are headed for hell. There is life after death but there's two places we can live that life; heaven and hell. Hell is not what we picture on beer commercials either. It will not be a great party. The bible says in Matthew 24:51, that, "there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
Don't be fooled and try to do it on your own, choose the right way.
John 14:6" Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
Keep safe

No comments: