Thursday, April 3, 2008

What will it be?

Last night, at our Wednesday night Bible study, we had a preacher come in to preach. His name is Cliff Taylor. We were truly exorted to keep on the journey; to follow Christ.
Another preacher I listen to, Bro. Trieber at North Valley Baptist Church, often says, "Mark your bibles and let your bible mark you". Well last night Bro. Taylor used a part of God's word to mark me.
Matthew 14:23-33 "And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone. But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God."
Bro. Taylor used this story to help us understand that sometimes, to be where God is, we must step into the storm. Some will choose to stay in the boat where it's comfortable.
I don't have the freedom to share with you what storm I am weathering out. I can tell you that I was given a choice; was I going to walk into the storm, the hard times, not turning my back on Him but, be where He is.
This might sound confusing but think about it. Whenever you are in a situation where you need to decide to do right or wrong, you are possibly stepping into the storm. Sometimes, doing right is easy and nobody around you has a problem with you doing right but, sometimes you are in an environment where right is not accepted and you will be shone, rejected and maybe even mocked for doing right. Some will continue to do walk on the wrong path even if you don't. Get the picture?
The people in the boat who watched Peter step into the storm, to be with God, could you be your friends, your family members, even some church members will watch you battle for lost souls and will opt out so they can stay in their comfort zone. Don't let that stop you from stepping out, nor going to church for that matter.
Yesterday, I prayed that the Lord would send me encouragement to weather the storm. My carnal desires sometime don't want to do right or take the higher road, choose it's battles, but He answered my prayers last night. He reminded me that in the storm, He is there.
In verse 31, when Peter began to sink, Jesus "immediately" stretched forth his hand, and caught him. He didn't stop the storm right at that moment, he grabbed Peter and stopped him from sinking. That's what my Lord did last night. Today I'm still in the storm but I'm walking through it with Him. That brings peace and assurance of a better end.
I look forward to the storm ending but until then, I'm embracing the presence, love and mercy of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Keep stepping in.

No comments: