Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Are you selfish?

Now, I know what you might be thinking, "Oh great! She's going to tell me to let people walk all over me and not want or desire anything in life." I'm not going to say anything even close to that.
I'm sure you've heard Ms. Oprah W. talk about her experience when she was in her late twenties, concerning being in church and hearing her pastor say that God was a jealous God. She then says that she couldn't understand why God would be jealous of her.
The first thing that came to my mind when she said that was this scripture, Genesis 3:1 when satan is wanting to deceive Eve in the garden of Eden, "Now the serpent was more subtil which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" He took what God said and slightly twisted it and was able to slowly deceive Eve into disobeying God which today's world and our seperation from God is a concequence of this first sin.
The bible does not say that God is jealous of us, it says that He is a jealous God. He does not want our heart and devotion belong to anyone or anything else. He wants us to be devoted to Him.
Now you might say, "That's pretty selfish of God." Let me ask you, don't you think He has the right to ask this of us since He created us and everything we get to enjoy like food (my favorite), friends, animals, our family, our cars (trucks, vans ect), money ect. He is not only a jealous God but He is a generous, loving and caring God. We can not out give Him. So I ask you again, doesn't He have the right to ask us to be solely devoted to Him?
So, if we are not wholely devoted to Him. He being the most important person and thing in our life, can we conclude that we are selfish? If that hurt, let me make it hurt more. Are we not only being selfish BUT being selfish with HIS stuff?
Let me get this straight... we don't want to adore Him, devote our lives to Him although He created us and blesses us while we do not even deserve it AND we still want to hoard HIS stuff for the pleasures of our life... Am I right? HMMMMM How would you feel if you friend related to you that way?

Just a thought I wanted to share with you.

No comments: