Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2 Fold


Today has 2 fold theme. I just couldn't choose which to share so I'll share both thoughts.
I adjusted my running routine a bit. I get such a charge from going running but I was starting to sense the beginning of a plateau. For Christmas, we got a Wii and with it, the Fitness Plus so I started a routine of running on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with strength workouts and a bit of cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I also downloaded a podcast from North Valley Baptist Church on the family's foundation and that's what I listened to this morning; what a difference! The podcast lasted 32 minutes but I was so focused on the preaching that the run felt like 10 min. I still worked hard, in fact, I think I ran faster because it started before I started and I was stretching when it was over.
The thought that came to me, concerning my run, when I was doing my devotions, was that when I focused on the things of God; the preaching in the this case, running my race was so much easier. All this even if it was -25 degrees Celsius with the windchill and that the road was covered in snow and it was like running in sand. I chuckled to myself and said, "Isn't that the truth! Why do I constantly forget that?"
The other thing I wanted to share was what the Lord showed me in Proverbs 30:19, "The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea". There was a time that even if one was a pagan, they still admitted to there being a creator. they would look at creation and recognize that a "higher being" created these amazing creatures, what they could do, like an eagle in the air, but now, man (human) has become "intelligent". Science through books and television has taught us "the way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock" etc.
This knowledge, you would think, would bring a fear of the Lord and greater respect for Him but the opposite has happened. We have become a puffed up generation just because "we" have unlocked some mysteries. All that understanding has come from God and yet again we give ourselves the credit. How wicked we have become!
It reminds me of the scripture in 1 Corinthians 3:19 "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God."
Can't you just see God chuckling up there in Heaven, like we do when our kids think they have getting dressed all figured out and are proud of their efforts and success but we chuckle at the sight of backward shirts, the clashing colors and the jam on their face.
Oh how I want to fear the Lord every minute of my day, so God won't find me boastful and proud.

No comments: