Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What's the difference?

I went walking/jogging today. I was supposed to go yesterday too but I over slept. I regretted it so much, because I was really looking forward to going. Today, I jogged more than I walked. Warmed up for 5 minutes brisk walk, then I jogged for 3 minutes, walked for 2 minutes then jogged about 3-4 minutes. I walked for 2-3 minutes then jogged most of the way back, maybe walking a total of 2 minutes. I then cooled down with 2 minutes of walking.
I wore my boots this morning... no, not my high heel boots; my husband asked me that with a strange look on his face. lol I went with a pair of winter boots that my cousin gave me; I got a blister and they were not comfortable when I walked, hence why I ran more than usual. (Maybe I should of worn my high heel boots.)
It was cold this morning but the sky was filled with stars and the moon shined my pathway again this morning. I woke up early, starting my "run" at 5:46am. I felt soooooo good after I was done. I must do some research on the effects of walking/running, outside, first thing of the day, I'm sure there must be some detoxification that happens because I feel so good physically when I go out running in the morning.
Anyway, that's that.
I read in Proverbs 8 this morning, "bet" you can't guess why... lol. I also read in Jeremiah 17 and 18. I was specifically struck with the call of wisdom. Over and over again, Proverbs 8 talks about knowledge, understanding and wisdom. They have very similar root meanings but by looking in the dictionary, we see that although these words begin with similar meaning, they have different ways of manifesting themselves.

Definitions:
  • Knowledge: acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation (2) awareness, as of a fact or circumstance.
  • Understanding: mental process of a person who comprehends; comprehension; personal interpretation.
  • Wisdom: the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.
God is very specific, with and through His Word, He never leaves us confused or "hanging". 2 Timothy 2:15 says, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Through study (definition of study: application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation, or reflection), we get knowledge, we then get understanding by thinking on these things that God has shown us and "putting the pieces of the puzzle" together, then by recognizing our responsibility to what God showed us, we apply it into our life and practice, show and use what we have learnt. This is wisdom.
James 1:5 says, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
If you struggle with applying the things God has taught you and shown you in His Word, ask Him to help you develop the ability and will to show these new things in your life.
I noticed that God teaches in increments, little by little, adding new understanding and desiring me to add to my knowledge, temperance (consistency), patience, godliness...(see 2 Peter 1:5-8).
It's no wonder that God created all things to grow. It's also no wonder that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge (see Proverbs 1:7). Learning/studying of the things of God will help us know Him better and recognize His power, grace and mercy. We then grow in these last three things.
We serve an awesome God.

No comments: