Thursday, November 26, 2009

Simple Understanding


A couple of days ago, the Lord showed me something specific in His Word that brought a deeper understanding of something He previously showed me.
I was reading in Proverb 24, because we were the 24th day of the month. I read and stumbled on the the inspiring verse 3 and 4 being, "Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established; and by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious pleasant riches."
I paused there for a moment, meditating on the beauty of diligence and purpose. I then continued and came upon:
vs 31, "And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, [and] nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down." **note** grown over with thorns/ Do you want a family who's thorny; touchy, aggressive?
vs 32, "Then I saw, [and] considered [it] well: I looked upon [it, and] received instruction." **note** people watch and consider our ways then they judge what brought us to the state of our family; laziness, inconsistency. They will see us as needy.
vs 33, "[Yet] a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:" **note**inconsistency, and putting no effort, selfishness, laziness
vs 34, "So shall thy poverty come [as] one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man." **note** vs. 4 talks about pleasant riches whereas vs. 34 talks about poverty that comes as one that travelleth (poverty touches/travels in every part of our life)
I don't want verse 34 to happen to our family, but how can I make sure I am a woman of understanding?
A few years back, the Lord spoke to my heart about when my children talk to me, I need to look them in the eyes, this tells them that they are important and have my attention. This will help give me their heart.

Understanding begins with listening
Proverbs 8:33 "Hear instruction, and be wise"
Proverbs 5:31 (b) "Bow thine ear to my understanding"

Then with reading His Word
Proverbs 9:10 "...knowledge of the holy [is] understanding"

We need to pass that understanding to our children by teaching them God's Word. Helping them learn Scripture. Using God's Word in comparison to their actions helps them to commit Scripture to memory and as an adult it will keep them.

Proverbs 1:8,9 "My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: For they [shall be] an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck."

A few Scriptures for misbehaviour
  • Doing things in secret; being sneaky proverbs 15:3, "The eyes of the LORD [are] in every place, beholding the evil and the good."
  • Lying Proverbs 12:22, "Lying lips [are] abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly [are] his delight."
  • Being mean to others Ephesians 4:32 "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."
  • Putting other down Philippians 2:3, "[Let] nothing [be done] through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."
  • Bragging Proverbs 27:2, "Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips."
  • Doing things slothfully, 1 Corinthians 14:40, "Let all things be done decently and in order"
  • Busy bodies (mind your own business) 1 Thessalonians 4:11, "And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;"
Reacting in anger Proverbs 15;1, "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."
Consistancy is THE hardest part of being a parent, as far as I'm concerned, but God's Word promises me a reward if I am deligent.
Proverbs 29:18, "Where [there is] no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy [is] he.

No comments: