Thursday, November 19, 2009

Looking back

This morning, as I began my time alone with the Lord, I opened my notebook where I sometimes write my prayers or notes of what God shows me in His word. I saw the list I had made in June of all the "challenges" I faced while living in the RV. I wrote this list so I could go back to it and appreciate what I had now. How quickly we forget what God does in our life. I won't give you the whole list since it's quite long but, a few of the points I had already forgotten are:
  • mouse poop in the cutlery
  • mouse poop in the girls' clothes
  • mouse poop in Jacob's clothes
  • mouse poop inside the folded blanket on the window
  • ...the dead mouse in the furnace (that's why the furnace was making a loud noise)
What the Lord blessed my heart with and that I had already forgotten are these ones:
  • Having to hang outside the door in a blizzard to talk on the phone.
  • Having to hang outside the door and being eaten alive by muskitos, to talk on the phone.
Reading those brought me back. I could see and feel myself in that position again. I could feel my skin pinching from the cold wind on my nose and forehead. My fingers beginning to hurt from the chill in the air. The annoyance in my attitude, wanting the person on the other line to consider my state of my discomfort and hang up. (How could they know or even understand unless they had experience the same thing?) I remember constantly battling between my flesh and my spirit. I wanted to have physical comfort yet I wanted to be "content in whatever state" I was in. South of the United States would of been dandy at times... LOL The bible says in Philippians 3:13, 14 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." This is true when it comes to the bad things that happen, perhaps a circumstance or a sin (or sins), or falling in life; just get back up and keep "trucking". The bible also explains in the book of Joshua, when the Israelites were about to enter The Promised Land and God stoppped the flow of the Jordan River so they could cross over on dry land. God asked Joshua and one man from each tribe to get a stone from the river, before God allowed it to flow over again, and build a memorial with those stones. The last verse of chapter 3 of the book of Joshua says, "That all the people of the earth might know the hand of the Lord, that it is mighty: that ye might fear the Lord your God for ever." It's good for me to leave the hardship of my personal experience of living in the RV from November of 2008 to June of 2009 behind but, I must take what the Lord taught me and remember where He brought me from. I never want to forget how hard it was to live in the RV for the span of 3 seasons, because I always want to appreciate the seemingly small blessing He continually bestows on me.

No comments: