Friday, May 30, 2008

Just Blind


Luke 4:1-7 "And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered. And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread. And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine."

I read that and it blowed my mind to think how blinded Satan was by his pride.

Satan is very aware who God is and the Trinity at that! He knew Jesus was God manifested in the flesh.

Really think about it. Satan once was the most esteemed angel, Lucifer. He was the one who stood behind God and covered Him with his wings. He knew who and what God was and is! Yet he stood in front of Jesus, the Son of God and showed Him riches of this world, hoping Jesus would fall for it.

It's the first time I actually see how self centered Satan really is. Someone who is self consumed and centered has no clue of reality nor of who is hurt by their actions.

When we are selfish, we are sooooo blinded from truth, we don't make rational judgements. It sounds a lot like Satan's situation.

We think of pride as a little o'l sin. A sin that everyone has, it's bad but just do the best you can to not have it; that's all you can do.

Wait a minute! Doesn't Proverbs 6:16-17 say that pride is one of seven things that are an abomination unto God? If it's something God hates so much, don't we think God would love to help us get rid of it completely, from our life? Don't get me wrong, we are all born in sin and will die sinners, but if we have been born again; born physically then born spiritually, the second done on purpose, by our own will, are we not new creatures? (2Corinthians 5:17). Isn't our past swiped away (Psalm 103:12)? Doesn't Philippians 4:13 say, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."? If we sincerely want to be used by God and not be a stumbling block to others, especially our younger brothers and sisters in Christ, don' you think Psalm 37:4, "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." or Matthiew 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." would come into play?

Jesus said if we ask in His name, in other words, ask for things that He would agree with or ask for. If we ask God, in Jesus' name, to free us from the pride we carry in our minds and our hearts; He will answer those prayers, the Bible says so in John 16:23.

What stops us from asking God to free us from our pride? We asked Him to free us from drinking, smoking, drugs, premarital sex, anger lying etc. Why not pride? Let's face it, pride feels better than all those thing I just mentioned, but fro a season. I think it's because we too wear the same shoes as Satan did that day when he dared to try to "trick" Jesus into desiring worldly riches but end up bowing before Satan in the end.

Can you imagine the look on Jesus' face? Something like, "You're kidding right?!" "HELLO Satan! Remember me? You know... J-E-S-U-S... God in the flesh?! I made those cities you're showing me. I gave power to those people in those kingdoms. If I wanted it I could get it by myself... thanks. Good try though!... *wink*"

That's where spiritual battle gets a little clearer for me. He doesn't just attack me, tempting me because he knows I'm weak and I'll fall to his devices. He just wants to be worshiped so badly! He is blinded by his desperation, his pride. He'll attack anyone who is weak at any moment. The only smart thing he did when he tried to tempt Jesus, is that he tried it when Jesus' flesh was weak since he hadn't eaten for 40 days while in the wilderness.

3 major things I learnt in this passage:


  1. pride blinds us from reality and of your direction and directives to others

  2. Satan will attack me because he wants worship and my fall

  3. wilderness= hard times (trials). When it's walked without being in prayer and reading God's Word, it now means weak, in the wilderness. Be sure we'll be tempted

Keep strong, even if in the wilderness.


No comments: