Friday, January 15, 2010

Learning is fun


I was sitting at the kitchen table after spending time with the children homeducating. I was thinking of how blessed I was to be able to share the milestones of mastering a task, whether it be cleaning, math, reading, writing etc. with my children. It's not always gratifying because the fruit of hard work is not always immediate, but when you get to see the fruit or reward of everyone's hard work, what a blessing it is. Reminds me of a verse in Proverbs 13:12 "Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but [when] the desire cometh, [it is] a tree of life.".
As I was sitting there thinking about the accomplishments we had, I ate my lunch and watched an interesting site outside.
There was a transport truck with a flatbed trailer. It was backing up to load up the trail groomer for the snowmobiles. The trails comes from the Irishtown area, crosses McLaughlin Dr then into the "famous" cow field that our past dog Marty so enjoyed, and joins a trail that can bring you to Bathurst or other closer areas. The groomer prepares these trails which pass by our house.
I watched and wondered how they were planning on loading the groomer since they did not place ramps on the back of the trailer and the flatbed trailer was lower in front of the back wheels so if the groomer came from the back of the trailer, how would he go to the specified room for it? I watched impressed with the truck driver's ability to back that thing up into a driveway; I struggle with the van sometimes! They then separated the trailer from the truck and the groomer drove around, put himself back to the trailer and the ramps were placed there so he backed unto the trailer. I watched as he backed that thing up, tipped forward, eyeballing where the trailer was and I can honestly say, I was stressed out for him. MAN! I couldn't help but sense the groomer tractor tipping forwards then to it's side. I twisted and from my kitchen table, I helped him get on the trailer safe and sound.... hee hee. Ya right. I feel I worked as hard as he did but just from the luxury of my warm house... lol
He made it on alright, as if he had done it before... da ya think? They put the trailer back on the truck and away they went. How impressive! I just sat there content with having gotten instruction on "how they do that" and now I had new knowledge. I can not tell you that I feel I could put the groomer on the trailer but if ever my kids would ask or if those men forget...lol I could tell them what I saw... hmmmm
Actually, that reminds me of when we were in Halifax and I wanted us to take the coastal route to NB. I was convinced it was possible so I went into a Petro Canada in an area just outside of Halifax. I asked the trucker there if "this" particular route would bring us to the coastal route. He said, "SUUUUUURE! Keep going straight on this road, you'll get to an end and have to go right or left, go right. You'll see the coast. When you get to the bridge, don't get off, you'll cross the highway and on the other side you'll have more great coast!" with a huge smile on my face, content with his affirmation of me being right, I said "THANKS!" and gave the instructions to my dear husband.... He humored me. We drove and drove and drove. Farmland after farmland after farmland. Oh! and after the bridge... there were more farmland... sigh.
Obviously, this trucker must of had some type of similar conversation with his wife and recognized an opportunity to put us right wives in our spot. lol. They must of had a great laugh once I left, because what should of taken 2.5 hours for us to get home, took us 10 hours... Needless to say, when my husband says that there is no... whatever it may be, I believe him.

No comments: