Friday, July 31, 2009

It's "just" science, Spiderwoman!


Growing up, I never really like the topic of science in school. I am a relational type of person and building a relationship with an insect just didn't appeal to me...hmmm wonder why? (ewwww)
(This is an image of protein)
Yesterday I was reading proverbs 30 and read verse 18 and 19 "There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not: The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid."

If you watch the discovery channel at all, I haven't in a while, you will notice that these things are all being studied these days. We have Science TV that teaches us the ways of these things. Further is verse 28 saying, "The spider taketh hold with her hands, and is in kings' palaces."

The Lord stopped me and had me reread this verse. There was something I needed to learn about the similarities between me, as a mother and wife; a homemaker and the spider.

We don't allow our kids to watch spiderman, although the boys did while not in our supervision. Funny how God wanted me to compare myself to a spider...Spiderwoman.

I will be sharing every once and a while as I learn what God wants to show me.

First, is the web, which is made of silk but specifically, proteinaceous spider silk.

Women are made of 75% protein. It is in every part of our body; our muscles, bones, skin and hair. As we get older, our hormones change therefore, our bones and muscle masses change. Getting more protein in our diet allows us to be healthier and stronger since this helps to build our muscles and bones etc.

The spider needs a lot of protein too, so she can spin her web. When the silk of her web becomes less sticky, therefore inefficient, she eats her web to ingest the protein and be able to make more silk for webbing.

Isn't that interesting?!

I guess this is lesson to be attentive to our bodies and keep them healthy. We sometimes neglect our bodies; eating standing up, while we do our housewhole duties, not eat breakfast, don't do exercise, eat processed foods and fast food. When we are tired, if you are like me, you keep pushing until the job is done and sometimes you find something else to do. When we have body aches and our health is lacking, we ignore it. If it were our children who did all these things, we would rebuke them, yet why do we do this to ourselves? Our families need us, yes, but they need us strong and healthy that we can continue the work God has laid before us.

Today, here is my challenge to us, let's have planned out meals for the weekend. Let's choose meals that are high in protein, complete protein which is found in animal meat, eggs and peanut butter. Let's take time to enjoy the things God has given us, like our homes, our family, our friends... time. Let's breathe in and decide that today we are spiderwoman and we are going to take care of ourselves so that we can provide the homes our family needs and shelter from the evil of this world.

Keep a watch.

No comments: