Wednesday, December 3, 2008

How long has it been?

It has actually been a little over 4 weeks since I've blogged and that's because we are in the process of renovating our new/old house. Confusing I know...
When I blogged last, they had found the well and shocked it, found the septic and cleaned it. Thursday, the next day, we had many people come over to help us put our belongings in a large U-Haul truck. What would happen next, other than knowing we were sleeping at my mother's that night, we had no clue. We did not know if we would have a house to bring our belongings to. We knew that the truck needed to be returned by 7am on Saturday. Although our Bahama St. residence had to be empty by am of the 31st, Friday, we did not know if we had a home to call our own.
Friday morning arrived, we were still cleaning the Bahama St. home, and driving to my mom's. We went to bed around 2am and got up around 7am. We first went to our sold house to pick up things we just couldn't fit anywhere, then to the lawyers to sign papers and close the sale. Jacob had an app. with his prostetist for, his artificial leg was on it's last breath, then I drove him to my mom's so my husband and I could go clean out the garage at the sold house. Praise God, we knew the new owner and he allowed us to take a couple of days to empty it out, and it took that!
My husband took me out for lunch then we headed to the house to empty the garage. We called our lawyers a few times, then the bank to see what was holding up the sale of the house we wanted. Finally, at 4:20pm, Friday afternoon, we received a call from our lawyer telling us the keys to the house were there and we could pick them up right now if we wanted.
Talk about a close call. Sometimes, God brings us to the extreme end to see how far our faith goes. That night, since we couldn't confirm with friends that we could move our things to the new/old house, we had to move our entire belongings ourselves. We did although get help from a coworker of my husband's for a couple of hours which, was a huge help and encouragement.
Much has happened since then. We stayed at my mom's for a couple of days then moved into an RV until the house was heated properly and safe to move into. It's been 4 weeks and we are still in the RV.... lol but God has been so good!
It is warm in there, 70+ most of the time. It took us a while to get the hang of changing the propane tanks BEFORE they ran out. lol It's funny to see your breath from under the covers. LOL. The kids think it's great; you see, we're REALLY camping, making up for lost time, needless to say. LOL
We have had the basement to the addition poured and was to start construction on Saturday the 22th of November but we had a severe snow storm. We postponed it to last Saturday which was a very busy day! Piano recital, hockey fundraiser, War Amps get together, Christmas Parade with the War Amps then a pizza party. We were to have 2 builders help us with the construction of the addition but they both had car accidents so we were 2 men short, BUT... AGAIN... God provided!
Just like that afternoon when we were waiting to know the fate of our belongings; having a home to call ours, waiting to the last minutes of the work week and having that rush of relief when we got the call. We had to put that same trust in God for the construction of the addition.
Some might say. "So what, never mind the addition, move in! It's December for crying out loud!" but, there are things that need to be worked on during the week that are in the house; heating, beams to be replaced, ceilings taken down and walls pulled out.
Last Saturday, 2 other men showed up to help my husband, then our new neighbour came to the rescue with his heavy duty compressor, when our compressor for the nail guns died, we all had much to eat all day, which was provided for us, and the first floor, literally the floor; no walls, to the addition was finished. Lord willing, this Saturday, they will be able to put up both the first and second floor.
We are expecting a storm on Sunday so I pray that my husband will take Friday off so Saturday they could work on the roof which they have to tear off of the existing house, and build a new roof for the entire house (addition and existing).
I will be putting the photos in an online album so you will be able to see the work being done as we go along, many photos have been taken thus far.
One thing I am learning in all this is to wait; to wait on the Lord. I had done a personal study once in Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD." I noticed it said, be of GOOD courage, was there such a thing as BAD courage? As I search the scriptures, I learnt that there is such a thing as bad courage. Courage that is of your own self, your own strength, is bad courage. You are relying on yourself to get yourself through BUT GOOD courage is one that is rested in God's strength.
I find it hard sometimes to have GOOD courage. I fall into my sinful nature and try to do things in my own time and strength. I end up doing more harm by wearing myself out then not having the energy, patience and love to give to my family.
Being in the RV is training me to trust in God and rest in Him. I am a space person; I have a lot of energy and I need space to communicate that energy. This RV does not allow me to be selfish with my space and God is training me to allow people in "my" space. I love to give and do for others but I tend to be very selfish with my time and space when it comes to my family. What a shame that is. I'm learning so much... even as I'm writing this.
Be of good courage.

No comments: