Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Jacob and I both had a really good time last night. It was a three course meal and there was a silent auction in support of CNIB. Mr. McKeever told us his "story". His father was also legally blind, his brother went to the Olympics and McKeever is the first to be an Olympic and Paralympic athlete.
I really appreciate people who are not afraid to work hard and press toward a goal and be an inspiration to others. There is one thing he said last night that the Lord used to speak to my heart. He explained , "As skiers, we are in an individual sport but we each do our individual best to strengthen the team." I couldn't help but make the comparison with our walk with the Lord. We are Christians, who need to do our individual best by spending time in God's Word (the bible), in prayer and drawing closer to Him to strengthen the team, which is our church family. In a physical family, when one is sick, whether life threatening or just a virus of some sort, the family is weakened. The mother, usually, is taken with a greater burden to care for this individual. The father takes care of things that perhaps the mother can't get to like extra wash, if it's a flu, meals the other children. If it is a parent who is ill, either their income is affected, the caring of the house, the others in the family are neglected etc. The list goes on.
Four points that he gave as para-athletes, which is also very pertinent for Christians and their confidence in who they are in children of God were:
  • labelling- not only society labels but we tend to label ourselves. If we will be know and believe in our heart and mind who we are, we can overcome the stereotypes and labels, therefore being more positive and confident.
  • reach- We need to reach for the goal. Constantly on our tipy toes like children who try to reach for something that's out of their reach. There is a greater chance of getting what's out of grasp if you reach as far as you can for it.
  • Ask for help- If you don't know how to do something or it is not your strength, don't be afraid to ask for help. Be willing to learn.
  • Have fun!
All four of those points, in my opinion are very true as Christians too. It's hard sometimes to have a heart always fixed on Christ when the world flaunts it's fleshly pleasantries. It's hard to be an Olympic athlete and eat the right things when your family might be eating juicy, fatty hamburgers with fries and sugar pie for dessert. We need to fix our hearts on the greater goal, the big picture.
One day, those who have sincerely trusted Christ as their Saviour and have repented of their sin, will rejoice in heaven but how much better would it be if, while on earth, you had an impact on this world for Christ.
The apostle Paul often refers to our life here on earth as a race and that our crown, which was the prize after a race in those days, is not corruptible; it will not break because it is a heavenly crown, prizes for the things we've done on earth.
It was a good time last night. Jacob got to wear a real Olympic Gold medal. It was really heavy! Brian has a total of 10 Paralympic medals, 7 of which are Gold. Impressive! When I get to heaven, I hope I have at least that many crowns so I can place them back at the feet of Christ out of love and gratitude for the sacrifice He did for me on the cross, saving me from eternity in hell and setting my feet on a firm foundation; guiding me through life and giving me a purpose.
I am His athlete and God is my coach. I heard He's the best there is.... :)

1 comment:

What Love! said...

What a great comparison you made between the athlete and the Christian. Your blog has inspired me.Since I moved back to Montreal, I have felt the opposition of the Devil and the world and my flesh much stronger. It is so important to immerse ourselves in God's word, prayer and Godly music. God bless you!