Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Knowing the difference


Today, as I read in Romans 16, I was impressed by the people mentioned by Tertius, who had done the work of God, helped him in the ministry and had just been a blessing. It made me think of our churches. I'm not sure where you are spiritually or if you even attend church but I attend a Bible believing Baptist church. We have approx. 20 families represented, in our church and each of us bring something special to our church and pastor. I'm thinking of Bob and Anne who are an encouragement to us younger parents. They have a love for one another that is edifying to the body. They reach out to others and love you sincerely. I think of Daisy and Joey who are perpetual smillers. You can't help but smile once you spend just a couple of minutes with them, not to mention how gorgious there eldest daughter is. So many families who make our church what it is. What a blessing it must be for our pastor to be able to talk to other churches, who might receive one of our family's as guests, and be able to tell them of the blessing they are. There is also the flip side to this chapter. Tertius gave us examples of the type of people we need to embrace, welcome and encourage. He then gives us warning to avoid and mark (take notice) of those who "cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned." I especially was brought to attention with verses 18 and 19 "For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil." I love my church. I could not imagine having one family deceived and torn out of our family. I would be broken hearted and wounded. Knowing my pastor and his wife, I feel comfortable in saying they would feel the same. What a warning this is. Be kind one to another, recognize who is really of Christ and who is not. Avoid and mark them so others will not be decieved by them and drawn away for godliness and the church family. I read this and was pressed by this urgency and warning to myself and others, that I don't want to loose my church family, and I have a responsability to watch out for my family, whether spiritual or biological. Keep a watch.

No comments: