Thursday, February 12, 2009

What do mocassins have to do with it?


That's what I told God a couple of weeks ago.
I take my role as mom and wife very seriously. I invest all that I can and God has used my commitment to "mold me and make me". Any one who says being a mom and wife is easy, is not investing themselves in their role. It is a thankless "job" with much sacrifice with wisdom only attainable through God. I have not arrived, believe you me! I have a long way to go before I can say I've even come close to mastering it. That's why being a mom and wife is REALLY hard for me, my pride often gets in the way.
One day, I was sitting on my bed, having a much needed conversation with the Lord, about how hard it was. He listened to me for a while then when I felt I had completely emptied myself, He said one word... "moccasins". It wasn't an auditive voice like sound for those who think I might be loosing my mind, lol, but I know when my Maker is talking to me. "Moccasins? Sorry, I'm confused. What do moccasin's have to do with being a mom and wife?" The Holy Spirit spoke to my heart; explaining the similarities. "In a family, there's usually three pieces: children (most times), a husband/father and a wife/mother. A moccasin has usually three pieces: two pieces of leather (one smaller piece for the top and larger one for the sole and sides) and a piece of leather string." "Hmmm, ok..." I thought. "The leather string is what keeps the two other pieces of the moccasin together so one care appreciate the comfort and blessing of a moccasin. The mother is that leather string that keeps the family together." "Ahhhh!" I thought. You get it too now eh?
Characteristics of leather:
The qualities that are typical for leather are good tear and tensile strength, elasticity, breathability, air and water vapor permeability, thermal insulation and water resistance, shape retention as well as the constant performance of these properties under varying influences of temperature and moisture. Until today many efforts were made to create a synthetic material that is able to provide the multiple and unique properties of leather, but all attempts to imitate leather were proven to be unsuccessful. (taken from Lanxess Energizing Chemistry)
I love that description!
Good Tear----- we can be sensitive
Tensile Strength----- (tensile means-capable of being stretched) we can be strong through it all
Elasticity----- we can be flexible
Breathability----- we can be calm
Air and water vapor permeability----- we can be absorb the natural consequences of life
Thermal insulation and water resistant----- ever heard of "it's like water off a duck's back"?
Constant performance----- we can be consistent

My favorite part is... "Until today many efforts were made to create a synthetic material that is able to provide the multiple and unique properties of leather, but all attempts to imitate leather were proven to be unsuccessful."
Because society has tried to create their own version of the wife/mother and have not been successful. I don't think I need to elaborate on the many ways it has attempted to. The good old fashion way of being a wife and mother suffices.
You say... and I say, "how can a WOMAN be all that?" only through Christ. Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strenghteneth me."
That's how God can change us. You say, "aren't I fine as I am?" OK... if you want. I challenge your husband to buy you a ring that came straight from the mines... not cleaned, not purified in the fire, not bent, not shaped, not perfected... etc. Would it be acceptable to you oh human woman? We are not acceptable to God in our own way either. We need to be cleaned (forgiven), purified in the fire (changed in our difficult times), bent (made adaptable), shaped (become as he wants us, individually), perfected (made more like Christ).
This was a long testimony, I know, but it is a lesson I sure would like to grow in.
Keep trying.

No comments: