Sunday, February 22, 2009

It's so peaceful out here...


... well, I'm not quite sure about that.


I used to be a person that said all that was on her mind, but I've learnt that it is not always necessary. Unfortunately, not everyone has learnt that lesson which forces me to relearn it and helps to remind me why I've accepted the truth of this lesson.


As most of you know, we've moved out in the country and are "fixing" a worn down farmhouse, and making it our own. In the meantime, we've been living and homeschooling in the RV which is parked in our backyard. This has proved to be quite a learning curve in my life. Learning "to be content in whatsoever state I am", to not be selfish with "my space", to think of others before myself... no matter what stress I might be under etc.


In all this, people around me have felt the need to use me as a conduit to share their feelings/frustrations about another individual, hoping I would rectify the problem by telling the other person how the first person feels. This has been happening in quite a few situations just this past week. All of them are legit, concerns and worth being discussed but what is happening is that my role in all this is to just be a conduit no matter my level of frustration and stress.


I believe this is a seed a bitterness that is trying to be planted in my heart.


With our living arrangements and this extra bearing load, I have been more tired and discouraged.


So much work is being done in the house yet because of my discouragement, it's like I can't see it; it's not registering.


I say all this to say, think before you speak. (no brainer eh?)


Our mother taught us this but somehow, we've become so self consumed that we've forgotten that James 3:4,5 says, "Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!"


It doesn't take many words to change the course of a friendship or relationship unless at least one person has decided to not let words be the determined factor of that relationship.


EX: When I worked for Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, I was taught to "turn the call around". When you had a customer on the other line who was upset, you needed to listen and control your emotions so that you wouldn't lash out. Once they said their piece/peace, you were to kindly let them know that you empathized with them and you needed to make sure they understood you were on their side... if you wanted the sale.


Same thing is needed in a relationship. If we really value the relationship, we need to listen to what the other is saying, and empathize with them.


I love how our pastor said it a few Sundays ago, "Decide to love them, even when they are not lovable because sometimes you're not either".


Again, I am so far from mastering this myself.


I think humanity is so worried about saving the whales that we've forgotten to save humanity.



No comments: