Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth

B-I-B-L-E
I remember hearing so many times that there is no instruction manual to life or to raising children: that is such a lie.
I can't get over how many times God has shown me something in the bible to help me deal with particular people in my life or how to raise my children.
The Lord laid on my heart to share with you just one example of how His word IS an instruction manual to life and child rearing.
I had been praying that God would give me the understanding, the knowledge and wisdom that I needed (that is a key ingredient, pray that God shows you), to deal with a habitual sin that was in my eldest son's life. It wasn't anything destructive, yet. I knew that if it continued, it would have him in bondage for the rest of his life.
When my eldest son was just a baby, I was told by a friend of mine, who's children were in their teens, that she always used scripture to show their child the errors of their way. The Lord confirmed it to me that this is how child rearing should be done, and that is how I've been doing it. Sometimes I get in the flesh and start nagging instead and when I get back into the habit of scripture use for guidance, I always see results.
One day not too long ago, as I was reading in Proverbs 16:6 which says, "By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD [men] depart from evil."
It was clear, that a combination of God's word (Truth) and mercy (definition:compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy, or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence: Have mercy on the poor sinner) would bring my children to a place of purging sin out of their life also teaching them the fear (respect/honor) of God.
A couple of days ago, I was reminded of it again in Proverbs 20:28, "
Mercy and truth preserve the king: and his throne is upholden by mercy."
I truly love my children and want to see them grow up to function well in today's corrupt and wicked society but I also love God and want to see Him glorified in not only my life but in the children He has given my charge over.
For example, the other day I told you we got a dog. We don't allow him in the kitchen or dinning room. I told him to get out of the kitchen and he obeyed me right away. I thought of a possible situation where a person who has no compassion for dogs, like I used to, and would witness the dog's obedience. They would be impressed and it would glorify God. How much more our children can glorify God in their life.
All this to say, the B-I-B-L-E, Basic instructions before leaving earth, is just that, an instruction manual to life and child rearing.
Keep reading!

No comments: