Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mmmmm Salsa!


I am having a good Saturday. A little on the tired side but otherwise feeling good. My eldest daughter, 10, and I, canned homemade salsa with ingredients from our garden.
What a blessing it was.
Only one bottle did not seal but hee hee hee, that only gives me an excuse to have some tonight. ohhhh I can't wait!

Since we didn't have enough red tomatoes, we decided to put green tomatoes too. One tomatoe, that I was cutting the stem from, was green with a slight hue of red piercing through. When I cut out the stem, the inside was already red. It surprised me because I never realized that the fruit ripes from the inside out. The Lord reminded me that, like a Christian, a true child of God, the Holy Spirit changes us from the inside out. Sometimes, what's happening inside of us is not obvious to others.
Spending time with others and allowing them to get to know us, will make it easier to see the colors that are already inside, which to others, is only a slight hue piercing through on the outside.

God is so patient with us.

We had to change recipes for our salsa since we lost the one we used previously. I must say that this one is scrumptious and on the hot side... YUM! It's a keeper, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Salsa (makes 10 pints)

22 med. tomatoes
(twice as many if they're on the small to med. side, we used 12 large red ones and about 6 large green ones)
4 bell peppers, coarsly chopped

3 onions, coarsly chopped

1 cup vinegar

3/4-1 cup jalepeno peppers, chopped finely
(put less if you want mild salsa)
1/2 cup sugar
(I put brown since I was out of white)
1/4 cup salt

1 cup (12 oz) tomato paste
(we put 2 small tiny cans 5.? oz)
Cilantro to taste
(optional)
3 cloves garlic minced

After getting skin off tomatoes, (dip in boiling water 20 secs., then into cold- skin falls off), chop them into bite size. Put all the ingredients into a large pot, bring to a boil and then simmer for 25 min.
In another large pot, bring water to a boil (to cover 1 pint bottles by 2 inches, at least), and place bottles gently. Place sealing covers in another pot half full of boiling water.
Use a ladle and funnel to fill hot jars with salsa, leaving 1 inch headspace. Slip a plastic knife or other non-metal straight object along sides of jar to release any bubbles. Wipe jar rim with clean washcloth for a good seal. Apply lid and ring and return into large pot of water. Water bathe pints for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!!

No comments: